Plus, Free Ground Shipping! Some exclusions and freight charges may apply.
Many pool owners wonder if Liquid Chlorine right for their pool, and why they should use it instead of more traditional Powder Chlorine. Its primary feature is right in the name: it's liquid! Because of this, Liquid Chlorine dissolves in water almost immediately, and starts cleaning your pool just as quickly. It disperses through your pool water faster than even the fastest-dissolving powder or tablet.
The cost of this speed is efficiency: Liquid Chlorine actually contains less Available Chlorine than Powder Chlorine, meaning that you'll have to use it more often. Furthermore, Liquid Chlorine is unstablized, meaning that it will great increase the pH levels in your pool. To prevent this, a pH decreaser will need to be used in tandem with the chlorine to keep your water's acidity down.
Unfortunately, Liquid Chlorine can't be sold online. That said, it still shines if you need to sanitize your pool in a hurry, or - because of its lower cost - you need to sanitize multiple water sources frequently.
|Product||Available Chlorine||pH Level|
|Calcium Hypochlorite (Cal-Hypo)||65-75%||11.7|
|Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione (Tri-Chlor 3" Tabs)||90%||3|
How To Use Liquid Chlorine
- Wait until after the sun sets to chlorinate your pool.
- Make sure to hold the bottle far away from your body while adding liquid chlorine to your pool (try not to fall in).
- Be sure to hold the bottle close to the pool water to avoid splashing - liquid chlorine will immediately and irreversibly bleach clothing.
- You will want to add the liquid chlorine to the deep end of the pool to help distribute the chemical.
- Leave the pool uncovered and pump running for at least an hour after adding the chlorine.
- Now, check the water chemistry first thing in the morning. Make sure the chlorine level is within the normal range of 4-6 ppm, and repeat as needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: What is the shelf life of shock?
- Answer: If stored properly, the lifespan of the chlorine should be about 5-7 years. Make sure the chlorine is stored in a cool, dry area.
- Question: Can I use liquid chlorine in an emergency? Like an overnight algae bloom?
- Answer: Yes, but this is a quick temporary fix. You would want to add the liquid chlorine in the evening, but shock the pool as soon as possible.
- Question: What will happen if my CYA levels are too high?
- Answer: If you let your CYA get too high, your chlorine will lose effectiveness to fight algae. If your CYA is too low, then your chlorine will burn off from the sun very quickly.
- Question: Do I have to check water levels when we aren't using the pool in the off season?
- Answer: You definitely want to keep an eye on your pool water all-year-round. You can get away with checking the water less often, but we recommend to still check frequently to prevent algae blooms.
Alternatives To Liquid Chlorine
Powerful and fast-dissolving, Di-Chlor shock applies quickly and may be added without pre-mixing. Its strong formula contains 56% available chlorine and doesn't disturb your pH levels.
Affordable and efficient, Cal-Hypo Super Strength Pro Pool Shock is made of calcium-hypochlorite and contains 73% available chlorine, making it the most powerful chlorine available.
Chlorine Generators (also known as Salt Chlorinators) automatically produce chlorine every day while the pool is being filtered and distribute it evenly throughout the pool via the return jets.
These slow-dissolving Tri-Chlor chlorine tablets have optimum hardness and they dissolve completely and can be used in floating dispensers, skimmers, or automatic chemical feeders.